PSA: Easter Lilies Can Poison And Kill Your Cat

If you have a cat in your life, you want to make sure that you are taking care of them in the best way that you possibly can. Most cat owners are more than willing to care for their feline friends. They provide them with the best food, medical care and of course, a nice scratch behind the ears every once in a while. That being said, there are also dangers that can exist in the home and you need to be aware of them.

One of the most dangerous flowers for any cats is a Lily. Perhaps what is most frightening about this type of flower is the fact that it only takes a little nibble or a lick to put the cat into acute kidney failure. Those flowers are often used in ornamental settings around the holidays, at weddings and even at funerals.

Be aware of the danger and ensure that you are keeping Lilies away from your cats.

What can you do about feline poisoning?

Lilies are known to cause nephrotoxicity in felines. It is a common kidney problem in felines that occurs when they are exposed to a drug or toxin.

“Confusion arises because so many different plants are called lilies. Members of the genus Convallaria (lily of the valley), while sparing on the kidneys, elicit toxic effects because they possess potent cardiac glycosides similar to digitalis. Even more confusing as to which lilies are toxic is the fact that many hybrids exist.”

They only need to nibble on a leaf or stem for problems to happen. They are extremely sensitive to the effect.

The Pet Poison Hotline tells us,

“The exact toxin has not been identified, but is known to be water soluble. All parts of the plant – the leaf, pollen, stem, flower are considered poisonous. Kidney damage (specifically, renal tubular necrosis) occurs within 24-72 hours of ingestion.”

Signs of poisoning:

Ingesting a single flower has been known to kill cats. The pollen is even deadly.

Some of the symptoms include salivation, anorexia, vomiting, and depression.

Treatment must take place quickly:

Many experts feel that you should rush the cat to an emergency medical veterinarian if they ingest any part of the Lilly.

Fluid diuresis must be initiated before renal failure takes place.

This is a very serious matter and even if you suspect that only a part of the plant was ingested, you should get help immediately.

These are the types of lilies that cause the most problems:

Asiatic, Easter, Japanese Show, rubrum, stargazer, red, tiger, Western, and wood lilies (Lilium species) and daylilies (Hemerocallis species).



error: Content is protected !!